Holidays and Changes!
Where to begin!
It's been about a year since I last updated my website, and a lot has changed:
- I've been part of the board for the largest employee resource group at Zynga: Women At Zynga since early Spring 2017! I've been running a Women in Engineering lunch every month, and hosting some one off events like visits/panels from Girls Who Code and the Girl Scouts. It's been so amazing to be part of a community, like I had been at school (CSUA). I think it fills that itch for me to be actively involved in the workplace beyond my core work.
- I won the engineering rockstar award in Q1 of 2017 and the "Get S**t Done" award in Q2 of 2017. Rockstar is giving out to lots of people for their work in their discipline, but "Get S**t Done" (which speaks for itself) was only given to 3 people in the entire company, so I definitely felt honored and excited! I also got promoted to Senior Software Engineer shortly after.
- I went to Grace Hopper Celebration which happened last month. Last year (2016) I ended up interviewing something like 20 candidates in 3 days. This year, I interviewed only 7, so I got to go to a lot of interesting talks. One that I really enjoyed was a PhD dissertation talk (shortened version) by Dr. Yixuan Li about deep learning. Another was by Gracie Arenas Strittmatter at EA/Bioware about art tool building. We ended up sending a tech report for all of our learnings (both technical and soft skills) to the engineering community.
- I went to Toronto for the first time also last month (last month was busy!) for a business trip to train up someone to take over my work. Canada is nice.
- My first experience being in a wedding party! I was a groomsmaid for a wedding on 10/15, and that was a very interesting experience. The wedding was beautiful and though I was quite stressed out (it was sandwiched between Grace Hopper and Toronto business trip), I had a lot of fun.
- I'm engaged! I proposed to my future spouse with a game I made (see projects tab for the game). Though it was not as picturesque as some proposals are, the whole game came as a total surprise to him, and he is excited to play it again to understand all of the references I made to our lives which he did not get the first time.
- I started a new instagram account (@sakazaki_succulents) April of 2017 because my mom got into succulents, and since they are so pretty, I wanted to document them somewhere. I also got a new camera lens (50mm 1.8f) and I love it for this purpose, and for portrait photography.
More recently, I've been writing lots of tech specs and not writing a whole lot of code. As I've been the tech lead of my current team for the last couple of quarters, I've been doing a lot of planning, higher level engineering, and 1-1s.
At home, I've cooking more, since my fiance started his first full time job in Mountain View, and tending to our new patio, growing herbs and succulents.
I'm currently interested in trying some stuff with microcontrollers. Let's see if I can come up with a fun side project.
Hope you have a wonderful holiday season and Happy Thanksgiving!